Connect with us

Western Conference

Jets Don’t Anticipate Buyout of Steve Mason

Published

on

The Winnipeg Jets plan to hold on to backup netminder Steve Mason following an injury-riddled season that saw him lose his starting gig to Connor Hellebuyck.

Despite his demotion, and despite the Jets inking Mason to a two-year $8.2M deal last summer, there are currently no plans of a buyout.

“I don’t sit here and anticipate that a buyout is a course of action I would take with Steve Mason,” Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff said of Mason’s status, according to TSN.

“Steve Mason is a capable No. 1 goaltender in the NHL. He signed with us knowing – and we were very up front with him – that this was going to be about winning, whether it was him, or whether there was going to be competition to win.”

“Steve was a real pro. I’ve seen a shell of our scheduled next year; you’re going to need some goaltending and need some people to back things up,” Cheveldayoff continued. “There’s a lot left for (Mason) with respect to being a No. 1 goaltender in the NHL.”

News

Canucks Place Brandon Sutter On Injured Reserve

Published

on

The Vancouver Canucks have placed Brandon Sutter on the injured reserve in a move retroactive to Tuesday, according to TSN’s Jeff Paterson.

Sutter will be out for at least four games as he must spend a minimum of ten days out of the lineup while being on injured reserve.

According to The Province’s Patrick Johnson, Sutter was in good spirits and said his unknown ailment was “only minor”.

Continue Reading

Edmonton Oilers

Oilers Recall Caleb Jones

Published

on

Edmonton Oilers have recalled exciting prospect Caleb Jones, one of a pair of moves the team made, who will now make his return to the lineup.

In a corresponding move, the Oilers placed Brandon Manning on the injured reserve list with a hand injury.

Jones, 22, has excelled with AHL’s Bakersfield Condors, and comes with a ton of promise to the NHL level.

Continue Reading

Los Angeles Kings

Kings Remove Ilya Kovalchuk From Lineup

Published

on

The Los Angeles Kings have removed Ilya Kovalchuk from their lineup, which will take him out of the action for the time being, according to Sportsnets’ Elliotte Friedman.

Kovalchuk, 36, signed a three-year, $18.75 million contract with the Kings last year following a long stint in the KHL.

Kovalchuk hasn’t been having a good stint in Los Angeles thus far.

Continue Reading

Trending